Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Good Samaritan

Dear Aunt Alice,

We studied Luke's account of the parable of the Good Samaritan and I couldn't help but think about how often I behave like the priest and the Levite.  I'm more concerned with myself, with my needs and my priorities, than the needs of those around me.  In obeying Christ, I must love others as I love myself, putting their needs on par with my own.  I found myself greatly convicted of my sin the more that I pondered these words.

Practically speaking, loving others more than myself must mean more than giving to those in financial need or helping someone with car trouble (though those are not bad places in which to start).  More and more, I'm starting to see that it means listening when I'd rather read a book, being humble enough to listen (and possibly even take) advice that I don't really want, looking for ways to serve when I'd rather be served and above all, learning to see others as Jesus sees them.

No comments:

Post a Comment