Dear Aunt Alice,
I have no idea how you packed for NW Rhodesia, not knowing what you would find when you got there or how long you would be there, but I have a great appreciation for what you must have though as you prepared to leave. It's crazy to pack clothes that are completely out of style here (can I say - jumpers??), to try and figure out how much soap I'll use in 6 months time, to buy bug spray in December and to try and anticipate what I'll want in the Zambian bush.
I can't help but think that this, above all else, is going to teach me to rely on Christ rather than money or possessions. My whims and cravings won't be so easily eased - I won't get a new book simply because I want it, a craving for chocolate or chips can't be solved by a simple trip to Wal-mart and I won't be able to run to Starbucks for a cup of coffee with a friend. The suitcase of items that will likely make me seem rich beyond belief to the Zambians is likely to teach me more about going without than anything else in my life up to this point has been able to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment