Sunday, March 6, 2011

I'm alive!

Dear Aunt Alice,

Wow - so much has happened in the last few weeks and I haven't been able to get online and blog about any of it! I did write a few blogs out, but it lieu of posting all of them at once, I'll just give the highlights for now:

* I got to go out into the bush to help weigh and measure kids at rural clinics for the Malnutrition Project.
* I learned that you can fit 14 mothers, their babies, a driver and a navigator in a Toyota Land Cruiser (I took pictures, but did not ride along).
* I went to Solwezi on the bus to get my visa extended and learned that you can take live chickens with you on the buses here.
* Also, when coming back from Solwezi, I learned that the bus doesn't leave until all of the seats are filled. We waited on the bus for 5 hours.
* I graded papers by candlelight the other night. We had chocolate and coffee, so it wasn't too bad!
* Yesterday, I had no water, electricity, internet or phone. I felt like I was living in the 1800's!
* I've seen the cases of Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes as they make their way around the area - what an exciting thing since my home church sent quite a few out just a few months ago!
* I've been teaching Grade 3 on my own for a whole week now and it seems to be going pretty well.
* My students are challenging my theological education with questions on assurance of salvation, whether or not a Christian can sin, etc. I LOVE it!! =)

I'll try to add some more detailed updates later, but for now, just know that all is well here. It's crazy and zany sometimes, but it's good. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment