Dear Aunt Alice,
People kept telling me that adjusting back home would really be harder than adjusting to life in Zambia and they were right. You think that everything at home will seem normal, but it doesn't. I'm finding myself caught off guard by sugar that's actually white (instead of the cane sugar in Zambia), church services that now seem almost somber, hearing airplanes overhead, being able to buy just about anything I want, internet that really works, etc. Plus, there are SO many white people everywhere I look!!
Everyone expects that I'm just glad to be home and to have the comforts here (I've heard those words so many times), but they don't understand that I miss Zambia, my Zambian friends and the life that I had there. I didn't spend six months wishing I had a dishwasher, tv, microwave, washing machine, a/c or American food. I spent six months building relationships, teaching God's Word and loving the people there. I did miss home at times, but not every second of every day.
I am glad to be back in the US, don't get me wrong. It's just that I left a piece of my heart in Zambia. I'm always going to love that place and the work that God is doing there. I don't know if God will call me back there or not, but I do know that He has given me a great gift by allowing me to spend six months of my life there.
No comments:
Post a Comment