Dear Aunt Alice,
You certainly knew a thing or two about brothers - seeing as how you had four of them in addition to your six sisters - so you can probably relate to just how much my brother means to me. He came home yesterday, back in the US after six months in a not so wonderful part of the world serving in a certain military conflict. I haven't seen him yet, but talking to him on the phone was simply wonderful. He's quite honestly one of my favorite people in the world.
But, as I celebrate his return, other sisters across the country mourn the loss of their brothers. As grateful as I am, I'm humbled by the gift I've been given - one more day, one more phone call, one more chance to say, "I love you and I'm proud to be your sister."
We never know when our time on this earth will be over. Life is fleeting and short. I can't help but think of what I would want my last words to a loved one to be. I'd definitely want to express my love, but my love pales in comparison to the love of Christ. If I dwell on just my love, then I am ignoring the greatest love there is - Christ crucified for sinners, that they might be redeemed by His blood and brought into communion with God.
Glad he's back safely!
ReplyDelete