Thursday, February 17, 2011

Leprosy's Effects

Dear Aunt Alice,

A couple of days ago (February 15), I went to a village set aside for those dealing with the devastating effects of leprosy and their families. Though the disease itself is gone (in the sense that it can no longer be contracted), its victims still suffer greatly. I saw pictures online before I went, but nothing could prepare me to see it all in person.

Several of the men and women had at least one hand resembling my left hand. Others were missing toes, feet or even the majority of a leg. These men and women, most old enough to be either my parents or grandparents, have little to assist them with their disabilities – no ramps, wheelchairs, etc. Those missing lower limbs move around by crawling in the dirt, protecting their hands with little pieces of wood fashioned much like sandals.

The families live in small one room homes and they have out door kitchens (very common here in Zambia) with thatched roofs where they cook over a small fire. Some of these homes have as many as eight people living in them – the grandparent who is dealing with the effects of leprosy, an adult child and several grandchildren.

As I watched these men and women, I couldn’t help but think how very blessed I was to be born when and where I was. Yes, I am missing most of my left hand, like many of them, but I was born into a family where I was given the tools that I needed to make the most of the hand that I have. I’ve had all the adaptive equipment I’ve ever needed and some I didn’t need – it just made my life easier. I still have my mobility and do not continue to sustain future disabilities due to injuries on the rate that they do (their nerve damage makes it very easy for them to lose appendages).

Please pray for these men and women as you sit down to eat today. They depend on the generosity of others for their very existence since most of them cannot work due to their disabilities. Each July, one of the doctors at the hospital raises money to purchase their food supplies for the next year. Please pray that all that is needed will come in so that these men and women will have enough to eat in the upcoming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment