Tuesday, July 19, 2011

By the light of the silvery moon

Dear Aunt Alice,

As I walk across the station at night, I'm amazed at just how much light the moon really gives off. Here we're so rural that there are hardly any lights to take away from the moon and the stars and, since it's dry season, clouds are few and far between. I love to stop in the middle of the road, turn my flashlight (or torch as the Zambians would call it) off and just soak in the sight. Tonight, as I walked, I could hear drums off in the distance and it was one of the moments that reminded me of all the reasons that I love this place. It's just everything I thought it would be and yet nothing I thought it would be all at the same time. It's stunningly beautiful and painfully heartbreaking all in the same moment.

One week from now, I'll be back in America. No drums will greet me, the stars will be dimmed by the lights of the cities and the world around me will again be sanitized against everything known to man.

No comments:

Post a Comment