Friday, October 22, 2010

The Beatitudes and the woes.

Dear Aunt Alice,

Earlier this week, our Lord caught my attention with Luke 6:20-26. Usually, when reading this passage, I tend to focus on the blessings, but this time, conviction hit me hard with the woes.

"But woe to you who are rich, for you have received your consolation. Woe to you who are full now, for you shall be hungry. Woe to you who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep. Woe to you, when people speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets." Luke 6:24-26

Ouch.  If I'm completely honest about my life, I am rich, I definitely am never truly hungry and, far too ofen, I am focused on what other say about me and wanting them to speak well of me.  As I read over these verses, I realize just how much I have and how little I really do give. 

Though you died before I was born, I know that you spent your later years, living frugally in a one bedroom flat on Arsenal street in St. Louis, giving freely to anyone who asked you for money.  Knowing my grandfather, I'm sure that you knew that he thought you were crazy, but as I consider these verses and ponder the poverty that you must have seen in Kasempa and Mukinge Hill, I can't help but think that maybe you weren't so crazy after all.  Maybe you were actively seeking to live out a life completely abandoned to your Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment