Saturday, January 29, 2011

Kasempa (or the Boma)

Dear Aunt Alice,

We went to Kasempa (or the Boma - British Operative Military Administration) today (1-29-11) to do a little shopping. I bought an umbrella for 20,000 kwacha (or about $4 US) because I forgot mine at home (not smart during rainy season let me tell you!). Four of us went and it was about a 45 minute walk each way.

I found the items available rather interesting. You could purchase basic clothing and groceries (though the selection was rather limited) and a variety of other items ranging from items bearing President Obama and Hannah Montana (I was more surprised by Hannah Montana than the president!) to dishes to laundry soap. One store even sold chocolate, so I guess it's not totally impossible to find here!! You don't want to buy much when you have a 45 minute walk back home though.

All of the roads are dirt and the path to get there is little more than a hiking trail in parts (so I spent a good deal of time watching for snakes and I can happily report that I didn't see a single one!). Along the way, we saw huts with grass thatched roofs and plenty of children who would just break your heart. All of the children wanted to talk to us and shake our hands. The four of us made quite a spectacle I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment